Monday, February 4, 2008

Mark III Thoughts

So I've had the camera for a couple days. Here are my overall thoughts.

THE GOOD
- The speed (FPS) is amazing! It almost feels like too much speed, but I'm sure it will come in handy.
- The customization of the everything is pretty cool.. you can tweak just about anything... you can even calibrate individual lenses
- It feels good in my hands... and it's built like a tank
- I like the 2 slots for a CF card and an SD card. This will make doing a slideshow at a wedding a lot easier

THE BAD
- There are a lot of focusing problems in AI Servo mode. They were supposed to be fixed in a firmware release from Canon, but I'm still experiencing problems. I did a bunch of research online and it sounds like Canon is going to announce a hardware and software fix that really fixes the problem this time. They had officially revealed it this past weekend at the PMA show.
- It's a little on the heavy side, but I think I'll get used to that (keep in mind I'm coming from the 20D)

I'm going to wait another week or so to see if Canon has a clear plan of attack on fixing the AI Servo autofocus problem. If they don't, it may be in my best interest to send it back to Amazon and wait to get a new one that already has the new fix implemented. I don't have a wedding for a wile so I can definitely be patient for now.

Those are my thoughts for now on the Mark III

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Thanks Steve for the lowdown!

Amy Wellenkamp said...

Thanks for sharing Steve. Very interesting about the focusing issues, sorry to hear it is not perfect out of the box for you!

Keep us posted.