Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shooting Question

Alright. I have a technical question for everyone. When shooting in manual and selecting the focus point, assuming that the subject is still, are you using single shot or AI servo mode. I thought I remember Mike saying that he used AI servo mode while using the back button focus, but I can't remember. But that almost doesn't make sense if the subject is still? Do you guys remember or have a preference on which focusing mode you use for a still shot? Thanks for you help.

Steve

2 comments:

Chris Diset Photography said...

I think Mike just leaves it on AI Servo (or the Nikon equal) in case the subject moves or he moves. I notice, at least with the 5d, that in AI servo, even if the subject is still, the lens continues to focus ever so slightly. In one shot mode, I like the definitive beep indicating achieved focus, so I use it for stills.

Justin Wesbrooks said...

I played with this on my 30d and now on my D3. You can effectively achieve the same thing as the one shot focus by just letting off of your AF-on (* on canon) button once you've focused on the subject. Then you can recompose and click.